Monday, January 15, 2007

Scaredy Cat

I like to scare myself silly over nothing. Ok, maybe I just have no guts. Just like today. When I got to my block, waiting for the lift, I saw this lady standing in front of the lift door waiting for it to open. She must have heard me, because she turned to look at me. It sent chills down my spine. She had long, straight, black hair, her cheeks were sunken in, her eyes had no life in them. It was… ghostly. An Indian lady came after me with her 2 kids. They did not seem to take any notice of the lady.

Soon the lift came. Nobody went in, so I went in first. The lady followed. The Indian lady and her kids, however, did not come in. They stared at me like I was some insane woman. I felt scared suddenly. Why weren’t they coming in? Can they see the lady at all? Did they feel something was wrong? I was tempted to run out of the lift door before it closed completely, but thought it would look rude and ridiculous. What if she was a neighbour afterall? I forced myself to stay calm and in the lift.

I pressed my level. She did not move. I felt even more scared. How come she did not press any button? I don’t remember she stayed on my level… Is she trying to be funny? Or is she human at all???

Then, she pressed the level below mine. I felt abit more relieved, but was still scared. I could feel her scrutinizing me, giving me a good hard stare. But I resisted from turning to look back at her. Because I was afraid of what I would see.

Will she suddenly whip out a knife and rob me? Will she tap me on my shoulder, and when I turn I will see a face with no features? Will she…

The lift reached the level she pressed. And she stepped out of the lift! I heaved a silent sigh of relief.

Am I not a scaredy cat? Hahaha!

No comments: