Friday, November 24, 2006

Taxi, Taxi

I met JS and GQ for dinner yesterday. We made this date last week when I bumped into GQ. Realised that we have not met for like almost a year?? Wow, that’s super long man, considering we used to meet every other week before. GQ told me that JS had broken off with her boyfriend of 5-6 years. I was a little shocked to hear that because all the while I had thought that they were perfect together, and for the past year or 2, they had been living together. Well, you just can never tell what lies in the future, do you?

As usual, I had to rush home to feed Elfie first before I can meet them. I cabbed back, cooked and fed Elfie,and cabbed again so I wouldn’t be too late. I must say this – ALL taxi drivers should take a test before they are allowed to drive a taxi around. A test of familiarity of Singapore’s road. And they should be trained to get their passengers to their intended destination in the fastest time/shortest route possible, without asking too many questions.

I admit – I am a taxi queen. There are many reasons why I take taxis:

1. Lazy.
2. Hate crowded buses/trains.
3. Rushing for time. I am someone who doesn’t like to be late.
4. Not familiar with the place I am going to.

I hate it when taxi drivers ask me ‘要走哪里去?’, the moment I sit in the cab and tell them my destination. For me, as long as I can get to where I want to go in the fastest time, I am fine with any route. Whats more, I am not very good with road names and directions, I am always at a loss when being asked such questions. And I hate it more when taxi drivers take advantage of that, and purposely drive me on a tour round Singapore before getting me to my intended destination. I feel like telling them ‘Excuse me. I am Singaporean. I don’t need a tour round Singapore, which I have to pay extra for.’ I mean, I may not be good with road names and directions, but I know it when I see it ok. I just don’t know how to say it. I know it when I am being brought on a wild goose chase ok!

Once I sat in a cab with this driver who obviously knows where I want to go, but keep saying he doesn’t know the directions. Every corner he turned, he asked me if he should turn or go straight. Judging from the speed he was driving with, it doesn’t seem like he wasn’t sure lor. And its pretty obviously that if he goes straight instead of turning when he is supposed to, we would be in a totally different direction already. Please lor, this is not the way to earn money ok, taxi drivers!

The taxi driver that took me from my home to our meeting place told me the moment I sat in the cab that he was new on the job, and don’t know his way around very much. Oooooook… I was going to orchard Road. YOU MEAN YOU LIVE IN SINGAPORE AND DON’T KNOW HOW TO GO TO ORCHARD ROAD AND YOU COME OUT AND DRIVE TAXI????

I don’t believe it lor. Anyway, this time I KNOW my directions so I gave him specific directions how to get there. Then…. HE WAS DRIVING BLARDY SLOW LOR!!! 50km/hr. Nevermind, I 忍.

As we were approaching my destination, I told him where I wanted to stop. HE BLARDY TOLD ME THAT HE CANT STOP THERE COS ITS BUSLANE!! Please lor, its already past the bus lane time. And there was no blardy bus behind us. He stopped me 2 buildings away from where I wanted to go. And I had to walk such a long way (I told you I am lazy ;p) back to my destination. When I alighted from the cab, I slammed the door so hard I think he must have had a shock. Hahaha.

Yes I know, I am a blardy bitch.

No comments: