Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Pleasant Surprise

Drafted on 21 November

Today I met J, Y and M (Yes you shall all be Y, J and M!), my ex-ex-colleagues for dinner. We were going to eat the famous Ang Moh Kio crabs! I had been craving for it since June, but never had the occasion/opportunity to go eat. M had ‘secretly’ come back from US since Hari Raya, and it was a good excuse to go all the way there to eat crabs. Perfect!

I told Y that I would be late because I had to go home and feed my baby before I can meet them. Nearing knock off time, the sky threatened to rain. Sure enough, it started to pour as I was in the cab home from office. I rushed through cooking and feeding Elfie, and rushed out again with brolly in hand to try to catch a cab down to Ang Moh Kio.

They had already ordered the food when I arrived. We caught up with one another while waiting for the food. M had lost some weight. She is now teaching in a childcare center near her house. Which I thought was very suitable for her. M is a very bubbly girl, who always likes to laugh. In fact, I have never really seen her not laugh everytime we met.

Everytime a plate of crabs came in our direction, we will say ‘Its here, its here!’. But Its always not ours. Everytime we see a bowl of crab bee hoon, we say ‘Its ours, its ours’, but its always not ours. We waited for like another 15minutes before our first dish came – 风流鸡. Its like some Thai style chicken, tasted quite sourish. This dish was ordered mainly for J, because shes allergic to seafood. But then we were all so hungry that we started to eat whatever was on the table.

Yam ring was next. J tasted it first. Then her face gave that ‘yucks’ expression. The exterior was not crispy enough. She commented that it was the worst she has eaten. I tried it. Yam lor hahaha. Well I am not a yam person, so maybe J knows best.

Next dish was the sambal kangkong and the fried mantou. Fried mantou was meant to be eaten with the butter crab gravy. BUT, our crabs were not here yet. Mantou came too early… Special toufu was next. This was also meant for J, but we discovered there was prawn in it, so she could only see us eat…

Finally, our butter crab came. Y, M and I stared at the crab for a few seconds before we dug in. It seemed not so nice anymore, we all agreed. The gravy was not so think anymore, the spiciness was not there anymore, the oomph! feeling was not there. But then, the crab was still very meaty. Yum!

Crab bee hoon next! This was still as good as before. M declined to eat because there was alcohol in it. J, despite it being cooked with crab, drank the soup, risking the danger of her lips being swollen.

As we started to dig in, J commented that my nails were so nice, how to eat crab like that? I just told her nevermind la, some of it was already chipped anyway. Little did I know that it was all in their plot of the night…

Y suddenly asked me who the ex-boss that was hitting on me was in my blog. I nearly choked. ‘Wow, they read my blog’, I silently thought. I told them a little about it.

After we were all satisfied (except maybe for J), Y suddenly turned and asked me “Rose, are you ready?’

I stared at her blankly and asked ‘Ready for what?’

Y: ‘Just say you are ready!’

Then I knew.

They planned a surprise early birthday celebration for me! So sweet of them! They never failed to do it every year. But this year they really caught me by surprise. Touched… *tears in my eyes*

See what they did for me.
The envelop

They DIY everything!

The creative card

M's well-wishing

J's...

L, blessing from Taipei!

Finally, Y, the super OE girl!


And see what they got me!

Another envelop!

A DIY gift voucher, from Nails In Love, the nail salon I frequent! Note: all names have been blocked to prevent harassment from unnecessary parties ;p

Y revealed the truth. They don’t really follow my blog regularly. -_-''. She only did some last minute reading to see what they can get as a gift for me. See how useful a blog can be? Hahaha.

Sigh, they are really such adorable people, arent they?

Oh, and J got me another present.




100 ideas for my blog! Hahaha. Ok, I promise, I will be less boring, once I finish the book. Wait for me k!

*************************************************************************************



Bubbles and Gangster are planning to go into business. What, I am not gonna tell yet hehehe. But on one of their recci trips, they got me an early birthday gift.


So sweet of them too!

Sigh… It feels so good to be loved… Muahahahaha!

No comments: