Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Tribute to Beach Gals... Part 6

In many of my posts, I have mentioned Bubbles. Now who is this Bubbles that you have all been hearing about? Today’s post will be dedicated to her, my dear friend Bubbles.

Bubbles is No8 in the 10 Sisters gang. I remember her short china doll hairstyle in Sec1, and her forever smiling with her eyes squinted face. She was one of the ‘loud’ and smart ones in the class. ‘Loud’ meaning I always hear giggling at the back of the class and it will definitely have had come from her or someone she is talking. Or whenever something ‘major’ happened, it will definitely involve her and the other ‘loud’ ones. She sat at the back of the classroom, whilst I, having not grown vertically since Pr6, sat in the front. All the fun and laughter came from the back; I can only listen and envy in front. Somehow I was surrounded by all the more serious and hardworking students.

Bubbles is a cheerful gal, whom to many people, has no worries. But to those that are close to her and know her well enough, we know that she just doesn’t bring her worries to those around her. She has her own fair share of hardships, heartaches and worries. Instead of crying over spilt milk, or waiting for a knight in shining armour to save her, she prefers to solve her own problems.

To be honest, I was not that close to her during school days. And frankly, I did not quite like her then. Maybe I thought she was too ‘loud’. Maybe I was jealous? Hahahaha. Yes that is the truth, I mean I did not quite like her then was true. Particularly in Sec 3 and 4. Maybe bcos she was hanging out with some gals whom I don’t really had a good impression of. But then bearing what Ms Travolta had said (Accepting a friends includes accepting her flaws etc), I still respected that that was her choice of social circle. Maybe it did her good, bcos then she got to experience many things that I myself had missed out as a teenager. I remember she pulled a stint as one of the ‘model’ in a national day song. Stand up for Singapore. Hahahaha. Yes I remember that well. She and the other gals were like swinging and dancing in the ‘MTV’. It looks just like what you would see in KTV, but not the original version, with the lead actor/actress walking or dancing in an open area. But, what the heck, it is all part of growing up isn’t it? ;p If I was the one offered the chance, would I not have grabbed it as well? Maybe hehehe..

I wouldn’t say Bubbles is beautiful. Of cos she is beautiful in her own way, but not those drop dead gorgeous kind, you know what I mean. She has a confident (at least that’s what I feel) outlook, tall enough (much taller than me anyway), super fair and smooth complexion, and please Bubbles, I repeat one more time: you are not fat. I am really envious and jealous of the fact that she does not need to do much to upkeep all that. She doesnt apply body moisturizer, doesnt put sunblock, drink coffee like water, doesnt buy a lot of skincare. She is just…. Born that way. Sometimes, she can just pass off as an artiste and no one will doubt her. But deep down, I feel that sometimes she is not so confident, just that she somehow manages to pull it off.

Bubbles has had a rather smooth sailing education and career. Always one of the top students, always one of the jude gals in school, yes she is right, everyone wants to be around her. Gosh, I sound so jealous! But well, I can never be her, cos that’s just the way things are. Anyway, back to Bubbles. After her graduation, she worked her way up pretty fast. And that was the time when we had the most fun. Partying, trying out new things, wakeboarding, blading etc etc. That was the time I started to know Bubbles better too. As we hung out more, I discovered the side of Bubbles that was never known to me before. She is a very caring person, not those superficially caring kind, really caring and concerned about the people around her. Even to the aunty that clears the bins at the end of the day, she never fails to acknowledge her presence. She may seem nonchalant, but she cares. She knows what she wants, and she works hard for it. Yes she is playful in a way, but when it is time to be serious, she settles herself down quite fast and concentrates on what needs to be done. These are the people who truly play hard and work just as hard.

Bubbles and I have worked together in the same company. Twice actually. I really appreciated her help bcos I admit that I am not very confident when it comes to interviews and stuff. Bubbles knows best cos she sat in when my current boss interviewed me! I was abit paiseh that she was there, but it went quite smoothly. Bubbles said I could have improved on my interview skills, but, how??? Teach me la! Hehehe. We had fun bitching together, complaining to each other about the people in the office. But have to take care not to be so close that people will gossip, about me or her abusing authority. Hey, she might have hardsell me, but I had to go through the interview with my bosses as well ok! She just made it erm… easier for me ;p. Thanks Bubbles!

Bubbles loves her family. Especially her mum. She will try her best to spend her weekends at home with her family, go for short trips with them, think of activities to do. To the extend that she will forgo an outing with us. She will go all out to help any of them if they need her, even if it meant her having to sacrifice her own time and money. They are a very close-knitted family. Any man dating her will have to gain approval from both her and her family before going any further. Love her, love her family, that’s Bubbles’ motto when looking for a partner. I am happy for her that her hubby is able to do that. Although he may not be the perfect guy for her, at least I know that there is someone who will love her and be there when she needs him.

Bubbles, if I ever have a daughter, I would want her to be like you – strong, cheerful, beautiful (Ok, this may be difficult cos its my genes and not yours, but nevermind, she will be beautiful in my eyes ;p).

Stay happy and strong!

1 comment:

Qweetina said...

Wah.. am so touched and flattered by your compliments... You juz reminded me that am not too bad a person afterall man.. and you reminded me of my national day video! I stil remember we got paid like S$50 for it only!

Anyway, like you correctly mentioned, I juz have a way of putting up a confident look.. .like a duck in the water.. above the water look damn cool.. but below water - waddle and waddle like mad!!