Thursday, February 08, 2007

Taipei trip

Me finally back to work today. Still a little reluctant to wake up in the morning, but I guess I don’t really have a choice, do I?

Ok, as promised, here is my Taipei post. Overall, I had a good time there. Food is fantastic, most of the time. People are generally friendly and helpful. Weather when I was there was well, crazy as usual. First few days were so cold, that my electronic eyelash curler can’t even heat up! On some days, however, the sun was out and so bright, that I can’t even open my eyes wide. And not really knowing how the weather will be like, we always wore thick clothings, because it is always better to be able to be warm, than freeze when it is cold, right? So when it turned out to be warm, we will start perspiring like mad, especially after we walked long distances. Oh, and the air is SUPER dirty. At the end of the day, when I clear my nostrils (Ok I know this sounds gross, but I am sure ALL of you do clear your nostrils eh?), everything is BLACK. And when I clean my face with tissue or cotton pads, you can see streaks of grey. Yes its that dirty. My poor face is now full of spots and dry like nobody’s business. First thing I did when I went home, was to scrub my face, and put on a hydrating mask.

One thing that we noticed about the services in Taipei, and LA could not really understand, was that if the service was good, it was damn good. They will serve you with a smile on their face, and will go an extra mile just to make you comfortable. But when it was bad, the attitude really sucks. They will not even bother to have eye contact with you when you need their attention. I will cite some examples below, together with the photos.

Oh, and I noticed that it is very difficult to find a dustbin along Taipei’s streets. Unlike in Singapore, where you can usually find one within one hundred meters, I had to walk like the whole street before I can see one. But then, the streets are still rather clean. You don’t find litter anywhere. Even in the streets of the night markets, the rubbish is heaped in a corner. As in people will choose one corner, and make it the rubbish corner. So you won’t find the roads and pavements dirty at all.

Food is the main reason I was there. And I have to say, almost every meal I had was yummylicious! And JNC, WE DID NOT OVEREAT HOR! Hehehe. You other readers will know why I said this specially to JNC, after you see the photos below. Basically, we ate normal meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not even tea, or supper ok. Just that, we had a full meal, instead of controlling my diet like in Singapore. I even had the fatty meat, which I hated to eat back home. The way they cooked it was oh-so-good. It simply just melted in my mouth, so I did not get the rubbery feeling everytime I ate fatty meat here.

I gained a lot (of weight? kekeke) in this trip. I got to know LA and YL much better. As mentioned in my earlier Taipei post, we talked a lot. Every night, by the time we got home, it would be at least close to 1am already. But the 3 of us gals would just refuse to go to sleep. We will switch on the TV, and half watching the programs, we will chit chat the night away. I think the earliest we went to sleep was 3am. Ok, I admit, I was always the first to head to bed. But then, for an early sleeper like me, whose usual bed time is 11pm, that is already a record high. So I can’t imagine how I managed to survive the 6am bedtime…

LA and YL showed me a different side of themselves. I think they must be feeling shortchanged, because I did not contribute much to the conversations, actually. I still did not reveal my other side to them. Why, I don’t really know. Maybe I felt too ashamed to do so? Or maybe I felt inferior? Maybe…

I always thought that LA is a very guniang (Ok, that was the name I used on my nurse uniform during the D&D) gal. I am only half right. I discovered a matured and tough side of her. How she dealt with people at work, her views on relationships, how she took the initiative to help us with some info we needed for the trip, how she is coping with her overseas assignment. It somehow changed my opinion of her, for the better.

Oh yes, I have a confession to make. I have been looking at LA a lot, because I think she is really pretty *giggles*. I think if I am a man, I will start going crazy after her *giggles*. Although she is small sized, but I think she has a great figure. And you know what? I think this will make all the women out there very very jealous – she can still fit into her clothes she bought during her Poly days. Please lor, I can’t even wear the clothes I bought last year, not to mention when I was still studying! Damn infuriating, isn’t it?

Having said all that, I want to say that I am a 100% straight woman, ok? I still like men *giggles*.

YL also revealed her other side. I always thought she is a very girlish gal. But then, she took charge of a lot of things during this trip. Like when we needed to ask for directions, she would be the one to go forward and ask. I felt a little paiseh, because I did not do anything except to eat and shop. But oh well, someone needs to take charge somehow, right? ;p YL also told us a lot about her childhood, and how rebellious she had been before. If she did not say, I really did not imagine that she was like that before! So you see, a child who is rebellious before, who doesn’t study hard, who does all the vices in the world when he/she was just a child, doesn’t mean that he/she will remain like that forever. Likewise, a child who aced in his/her studies, behaved like an angel before, does not guarantee to grow up the same way *points finger at self*

Ok, enough of ourselves. Photo time!

P/s: If you are looking out for pictures in this post, I am sorry you will have to be disappointed. I am sorry, I have been trying very hard, almost the whole day trying to post my pictures up, but can’t. Either Blogger is having some kind of problems posting pictures, or they don’t like my pictures. Out of the few hundred, I only managed to post 19 of them, and all of them taken on the last day. I will try again later ya. Be patient ok.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would do the same if i'm there...eat, sleep and shop like Taiwan is MINE! Muahahaha...i'll probably empty my bank account

TuT said...

my gosh, you have to post your pics! i am really curious about taiwan. you must tell us more about the places you visited, not just the food! how's taiwan 101? how's this? how's that? how's those?

Rose said...

tut - not that i dont want leh... its i CANT!!! *bang head* the error page keeps coming out... i wanna cry oredi!!!!