Monday, February 26, 2007

Just Me

Like any other Chinese New Year, this year's CNY is the time for gathering. For people who usually don't have the time to meet, there seems to be little excuse to skip this important meeting. This is the time when we all take the opportunity to catch up with one another's lives.

We went to Mdm Foo's new house along in the east area. She had moved there since last June, but we had not had the chance to come visiting (is this another excuse?). Her new home is nice -cosy, comfortable and convenient. Much better than the ulu even-birds-don't-lay eggs place she used to stay in. So nice that I forgot to take pictures. And she got it really cheap (Ok, its not really cheap. Just that she got it at a good price). We all urged Gangster to buy the empty unit on the level above Mdm Foo's kekeke.

Mdm Foo and I used to be really close, when we were much younger. Every week, we will spend at least one night partying together, at Hard Rock Cafe, Sparks (erm... there is no more Sparks now), or somewhere else that is hip during that time. Even if it was only the 2 of us, we still enjoyed ourselves thoroughly, dancing to the music, catching glimpses of the people around us.

Somewhere along the way, we drifted apart. Maybe it was because I closed myself to everyone at one time. Maybe it was because she studied at the U, while I did my diploma. Maybe she was busy paktoring, while I was struggling with my degree. Anyway, we sort of lost that closeness.

But, I am glad to say that although we are not as close as before, we still do try to keep up with each other's lives. Now and then, I will sms her, ask her out for lunch (our work places are very nearby each other), or at gathering such as the last one we had. We still do confide in each other things that we may not have volunteered to tell other people.

Like Mr. A mentioned, people change, the world changes, and all we can do is - to grow together, with the people and the world. As much as we would like certain things to remain the same forever, the sad truth is that nothing can be forever.

How many people we come across in our lives, can remain in our lives forever? I can only say that most in my life, are only passing clouds. But despite the fact that they are only passing clouds, they, together with the people that I cherish, and chose to stay close with, make my life whole. Without any one of them, I may not be who I am today, or what I am like now. There may be people that I hate (hate is a strong word, yes. But I admit, there are people that I do hate), there may be people whom I love, or have loved before. But every single one of them, make up the person I am now.

The world is so big. I am only me, the insignificant me. But still, I think I make up part of some other people's lives as well.

Right?

No comments: