Friday, October 13, 2006

A Tribute to Beach Gals - Part 9 Finale!

Many of you must be wondering when I am ever going to finish my Beach Gals series. Patience my dears, patience! I am left with but one more, Gangster.

I knew Gangster since Sec1. How many years of friendship have we survived? That’s for us to know ;p. We always use the X numbers of years as a measurement of how we should prioritize our friends hahaha. ‘Hey, we know you for X years. You her/him for how long? You go out with him/her you don’t go out with me, how can???’ Gangster can only shake her head at us, say we are being childish hahahah.

Gangster, as her (yes it’s a her) nick implies, behaves quite gangsterish. The firs day of school, she walks in very macho-ly, swinging her arms in very wide angles, like a pendulum, sleeves folded. I thought to myself ‘Siao liao. What kind of school am I in? Ah Lian got, gangster also got. Siao liao lor’. Dont play play. When she walks, got wind one leh. Phroo, phroo phroo.

She is, same with Bubbles and gang, one of those loud ones. It was a little overwhelming for me at first, to be mixing with these loud people. Really, sometimes, I wonder how on earth I ended up being buddies with these people, cos they are all so different from myself.

Dont see Gangster so macho and rowdy, she is actually very nice and helpful one. I think she has that kind of want-to-protect-the-weak kind of character, so maybe seeing me, so quiet, meek, so helpless then, she became my friend. My good friend. She, being so loud, of cos attracted the attention of many teachers. For some reason, she was the class treasurer for 2 years. No, in fact, 4 years. We trusted her with all our money matters. But she is that trustworthy. Always.

Gangster always give people the kind of impression of , well, a gangster. Trustworthy, reliable, loyal friend, 讲义气, yet sometimes can be so sensitive and gentle。Gentle not in the sense that she talks softly, or sits with her legs crossed nicely. Gentle as in she will really take care of you, like she is my boyfriend. I think she took better care of me than any one of my boyfriends so far. Serious. She holds my shopping bags. She picks me up from my home and sends me back. When our cars break down, we call her and she will come to wherever we are. When we were still taking buses, she would make sure I got on and off the bus safely. When Gangster is around, we feel safe.

Bcos we came from a girls’ school, bcos I hung out a lot with Gangster in school and outside, people used to think that I, was a lesbian. I had no idea that people thought that way of me and Gangster, until one fine day, an ex-school-mate, who happened to go to the same polytechnic as me, told me that. ‘I thought you were a lesbian!’ she told me. I was a little taken aback, bcos well, I am straight what!! Maybe bcos Gangster really took very good care of me, and I was quite dependent on her back then. I can still vaguely remember the nightmare I had when my ex-school-mate told me that. That Gangster and I were really lesbians hahahaha.

I remember a silly prank Bubbles, JB-ren and I played on Gangster. I guess we were really bored then. 3 of us were waiting for Gangster to arrive at a food court in one of the shopping malls. I cant remember who came up with the idea, but I was supposed to pretend that I got pregnant. Maybe I had this really pathetic look on my face. Maybe I really looked sick then. Gangster believed me. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Bubbles trying very hard not to laugh out loud. I pretended that I had no appetite. And I wanted dessert. I pointed to a dessert that was ‘liang’, in Chinese sense, cooling, and not advisable for pregnant ladies to eat. Gangster refused to buy for me, saying it is not good for me to eat, and bought something else for me. This is how caring Gangster is. Bubbles couldnt take it anymore in the end and burst out laughing. Instead of being angry, Gangster just heaved a sigh if relief.

Gangster got into the entertainment industry after graduation. We were elated, cos we have not one but two good friends working in entertainment. Both of them really brought us up close and personal with some celebrities. Gangster was really nice, cos she would give us tickets to concerts and stuff. That was the time when I attended concerts the most, much to my enjoyment. But after she left the company, it got less, but oh well, we did not complain, bcos we already had our fair share of fun.

Gangster is not in the everyone-flocking-there China. I sort of drifted apart a little from her, maybe bcos we dont talk much nowadays. I sort of miss her, bcos something is amiss without her messing around me. But she will be back soon. Very soon.

Gangster (Although I know she doesnt read), I miss you !

No comments: