Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Comrades

Today, I had lunch with M, one of our new colleagues. Seeing I had no lunch kakis other than herself, Bubbles had encouraged me to lunch with her before. But at that time, I was still on my diet, so I did not. It would be weird to ask someone out for lunch and not eat right?
M had seemed like she wanted to ask me for lunch yesterday, but I had a super heavy breakfast, so I told her frankly I wasnt hungry. Today, I saw her at her desk, so when I walked to one of my bosses' room, I stopped by to ask her if she wanted to lunch together. She said 'Ok'.
After we settled down at the table, we started talking, naturally about office matters. We both unanimously agreed that people here are generally not very helpful and not very friendly. I told her that in my 4months here, no one has ever opened their mouth to ask me out for lunch with them. Ok, other than sweet A from HR, no one did. Even if I initiated, I was brutally rejected. So I lunch alone most of the time when Bubbles is not around. M said the same thing - no one, other than her 2 bosses, had ever asked her out for lunch, other than the finance gal, J.
Both of us also agreed that, this company has the busiest employees in town. So busy that they cant even stop to answer a simple question. We have learnt that it is best to figure out the solution yourself, rather than ask and get the standard Sorry-I-am-very-busy-now answer. Bubbles, I know you have highlighted a few names that are helpful, and that I can always approach them for help if I need any. But believe me, I get the same standard Sorry-I-am-very-busy-now answer.
Of course, they would help. If you have a title that says Manager and above. If you hold power that will directly or indirectly affect them if they do not help. If you happened to be a good friend of theirs. Too bad, I am none of the above mentioned. So M and I will have to be left struggling by ourselves.
Of course, I am luckier than M, because I have dear Bubbles *hugz*. I think without her, I would left left before my 1 month is up. Ok, make it 2 hahaha.
Not too bad, 1 lunch and I gain a comrade. I believe we have a long long way to go together.

No comments: